At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.
(Acts 10:1-2 ESV)
Cornelius was a gentile. This helps us to understand the message Cornelius was given as the message of salvation.
However Cornelius already had a background of the God of the Jews and already worshiped him diligently. So his knowledge and understanding was based on scriptures i.e. O.T. writings.
Further he was a dynamite of faith and generosity. He gets ‘Likes’ from heaven itself!
We will try to follow the record from Cornelius’s perspective i.e. the message of salvation in Jesus.
1. In every nation anyone who fears YHWH (Not trinity) and does what is right is acceptable to him. (Acts 10:35)
2. YHWH preached good news of peace through Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all) (Acts 10:36) – YHWH and Jesus have separate purpose and roles and also different beings. One is Eternal God that other was MAN glorified by God with immortality as Lord.
3. YHWH reached Israel through Jesus like he did through Moses and the porphets and therefore Jesus is authority (Acts 10:36)
4. God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. (Acts 10:38 ESV) YHWH anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit – Not to be read as Jesus (YHWH) anointed himself (JESUS) with himself (SPIRIT). It is a great verse where the Father, Son and Holy spirit come together – but look at the context and do not apply the Nicaea formula and confuse yourself. (Compare with Act 10:44, 45)
5. The Apsotles are witness and authority – Not the Nicaea Fathers! (Act 10:39, 41)
6. Jesus died literally! “They put him to death by hanging him on a tree” – Men die, God does not die. If a God dies then that is a trick. (Act 10:39)
7. YHWH God raised him on the third day and made him to appear (Jesus did NOT raise Jesus. God raised Jesus. Jesus would be in his grave and ceased to exist if God had not intervened) (Act 10:40)
Looks at the emphasis of this fact in the scriptures:
this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.
(Acts 2:23-24 ESV)
Act 2:32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses.
Act 3:15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses.
Act 13:29 And when they had carried out all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree and laid him in a tomb.
Act 13:30 But God raised him from the dead,
Act 17:31 because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”
1Co 6:14 And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power.
Rom 8:11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Now all the above is negated by an incorrect interpretation of what Jesus said:
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
(John 10:18 ESV)
Here Jesus has absolute faith that he will be raised by God. He is bearing witness to the fact that he will be raised and as per prophecy (Psa 16:10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption). He also speaks on the authority he has received from HIS God who you deny. You honour Jesus, then honour HIS God also.
According to a formula of trinity the Father is not Jesus and Jesus is not the Father so even by the formula of Trinity God raised Jesus from the dead. When Jesus dies did his soul float to Hell? Gods have souls? There is no contradiction if you can see that Jesus was human and depended on his Father.
KEY principle of intepretation:
Start by reading the Scriptures (OT) to NT writings. Lay foundations to beliefs in the O.T. and not in Out of context verses pulled here and there from the N.T. which used the O.T. as its foundation.
We can believe Jesus is the Messiah because of this verse:
For you (YHWH) will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. (Psalms 16:10 ESV)
First understand this prophecy by David then all things will be clear. David never believed or prophesied any form of trinity or binity! Please do not be deceived by the creed of Nicaea. Volumes of Volumes of scriptures show they were wrong!
Read these verses also – 1Co_15:12; 2Co_4:14; Gal_1:1; Eph_1:20; Col_2:12; 1Th_1:10; Heb_13:20; 1Pe_1:21
Jesus coming back to life is a VERY BIG deal! Resurrection is a very important doctrine of Jesus and the apostles, which you have no idea and make light of. This is because you are locked from the truth by the mystery of the formula of the trinity!
8. He (YHWH) commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he (JESUS) is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. (Act 10:42) God appoints Jesus and not that Jesus appoints God or himself!
9. To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” (Act 10:43 )
Prophets have to bear witness. Search for yourself how they bear witness. Unless they bear witness Jesus cannot be the Messiah.
10. While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. (Act 10:44) – Baptized by the Holy spirit Just like Jesus was!
11. Baptized with water
Act 10:47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Destroy this temple
Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Jesus spoke in a language that when taken literally does lead to the common beliefs of the mother church.
For instance when he said destroy the temple the note in v21 helps one to understand that the temple was not literal.
Jesus also repeated this prophecy like this:
Joh 10:18 No one taketh it away from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment received I from my Father.
I.e. He said that with God’s authority. So Jesus could only be raised up through his God.
Who raised Jesus?
- If YHWH raised Jesus a very different gospel and truth emerges!
- If Jesus raised Jesus a very different gospel emerges.
What really transpired?
Joh 2:22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he spake this;
So when Jesus was indeed raised from the dead by God they testified as witnessed in Acts that “God raised him from the dead!” Act 13:30
Act 2:32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are WITNESSES.
Peter does not explain a trinity godhead using circles and triangles the Nicaea formula of God. He explained the truth. Peter had NO idea of the Trinity!
Even if Peter were to come back to life and meet you, will show him the Nicaea creed as proof of truth.
Nicaea is NOT authority. Peter’s preaching and witnessing is!
Key to interpretation: Read/Understand/Meditate from O.T. Scriptures to the NT scriptures.
We see the same thing happen to another dynamite of faith like Cornelius:
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus.
i.e. from the book of the prophet Isaiah the Eunuch was reading to the life of Jesus.